Last Updated on
Autumn Maple Cookies are the cutest cutout cookies ever! Flavored with maple syrup and classic fall spices like cinnamon and nutmeg, these cookies fit any hot drink perfectly. Delicious walnuts on the top provide an extra advantage to this dessert.
Total Time to cook lots of Autumn Maple Cookies – about an hour and a half
- butter: 1/4 cup
- all-purpose flour: 2 1/4 cups
- baking powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- cinnamon (grounded): 1/2 teaspoon
- baking soda: 1/4 teaspoon
- salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- nutmeg (grounded): 1/8 teaspoon
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 6 tablespoons
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1/2 cup
- 2 eggs (whites), divided
- Cooking spray
- cinnamon (grounded): 2 tablespoons
- turbinado sugar (or brown sugar): 2 tablespoons
Instructions to Make Autumn Maple Cookies
In a small saucepan melt butter over low heat. Cook until milk solids stop crackling and turn amber (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally. Transfer butter mixture to a small bowl, scraping pan to include milk solids. Cover and cool butter mixture in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or until soft and congealed but not firm.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through nutmeg) in a bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Combine chilled butter mixture and sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add syrup, flavoring, and 1 egg white to butter mixture; beat at low speed 2 minutes or until well blended. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat on low speed until blended. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour or until firm.
Turn on an oven and preheat it to 350° to bake Autumn Maple Cookies.
Combine cinnamon with sugar for garnishing in a small bowl.
Place the remaining 1 egg white in another small bowl; stir with a whisk.
Working with one portion of the dough at a time (keep remaining dough chilled until use), roll dough to a 1/8-inch thickness on a floured surface, and cut with a 2 1/2-inch round or decorative cutter. Place 24 Autumn Maple Cookies, evenly spaced, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Gently brush tops of cookies with egg white; sprinkle evenly with cinnamon mixture. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until pale brown.
Remove Autumn Maple Cookies from pan; cool completely on wire racks. Repeat procedure with remaining dough, egg white, and cinnamon mixture.
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your pastry even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!