Last Updated on
Maple-Miso Japanese Turnips is very unusual and interesting recipe. Savory and sweet tastes are mixed in this dish what makes the flavor of Turnips highly pleasant. Regular turnips are too strong for this delicate dish, so if you can’t find Japanese turnips, use a combination of small radishes and mustard greens.
Total Time to Make 10 to 12 servings of Maple-Miso Japanese Turnips – 60 min.
Ingredients for Maple-Miso Japanese Turnips
- unsalted butter: 4 tablespoons
- mild white miso: 2 tablespoons
- Japanese turnips with their greens: 3 pounds, small
- salt to taste
- pepper (grounded) to taste
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 2 tablespoons
Take softened butter, miso and mix them.
Cut greens from turnips, trim roots. Cut larger turnips into halves leaving smaller turnips whole. Slice greens (including stems) crosswise.
Take a pot (6- to 8-qt.), put turnips in pot with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and heat over medium-high heat. Turnips should release a bit of liquid; if they’re on the dry side, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water). Reduce heat and keep cooking Maple-Miso Japanese Turnips 5 min. longer.
Add turnip greens, cover, and keep simmering about 4 min. until greens are just wilted. Uncover and cook 2 min. longer until both greens and turnips are almost tender.
Stir in the pot miso butter and maple syrup, then cook about 5 min., uncovered and stirring often, over medium-high heat until everything is well incorporated.
Transfer Maple-Miso Japanese Turnips to a deep platter or large bowl and drizzle broth around turnips.
More advanced ways of using Viking Farms Maple Syrup with Vegetables!
- Viking Farms Maple Amber Color and Rich Taste Syrup for most vegetables: maple glazed carrots or beets, maple roasted acorn squash, maple bread and butter pickles;
- Try to use ½ cup of Viking Farms Maple for every 2 cups of vegetables for glazing;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Dark Color and Robust Taste Syrup for bitter vegetables like maple glazed or roasted brussels sprouts;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Dark Color and Robust Taste Syrup for butternut squash or French onion soup!