Buttermilk Snack Cakes are easy to cook dessert recipe with help of which you can please your family every day. Adding soaked oats in buttermilk makes the dessert soft while the maple sugar glaze adds the crunchy crust.
Total Time to Cook Buttermilk Snack Cakes – 45 min. (+ a night for oats to soak).
- buttermilk: 1 1/2 cups
- steel-cut oats: 1/2 cup
- oat flour: 1/2 cup
- all-purpose flour: 1 cup
- baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- salt: 1/2 teaspoon
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar (divided): 2/3 + 1/2 cups (to make the crust)
- butter (softened): 1/4 cup
- vanilla extract: 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 1 egg
- Cooking spray
Firstly, combine oats and buttermilk; cover the base ingredient for our Buttermilk Snack Cakes and put them to the fridge for a night (or at least for 5 hours).
When oats are ready, turn on an oven and preheat it to 375°.
Lightly spoon flours into a dry measuring cup. Take dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; combine them stirring with a whisk.
Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and egg; beat until well blended. Stir in oat mixture and beat until well blended. Add flour mixture, beating just until moist.
Spoon batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle Buttermilk Snack Cakes with 1/2 cup of sugar.
Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool Buttermilk Snack Cakes for 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Cut them into squares.
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your pastry even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!