Last Updated on
Maple-Toffee Rolls are juicy, sticky and flavorful pastry with cinnamon topping melting to cover the buns in a layer. These perfect-sized buns are a sign of a weekend morning when there is nowhere to run and you can take your time enjoying your favorite treat!
To make the Maple-Toffee Rolls Dough
- water (warm): 1 ½ cups
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 1 tablespoon
- active dry yeast: 2 ¼-ounce packets
- all-purpose flour: 4 cups
- salt: 2 teaspoons
To make the Maple-Toffee Rolls Topping
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: ½ cup
- butter: 4 tablespoons
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 2 tablespoons
- chopped pecans (almonds or walnuts): ½ cup
To make the Maple-Toffee Rolls Filling
- unsalted butter: 8 tablespoons
- medjool dates (pitted and chopped): 8 ounces
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: ⅔ cup
- salt: ½ teaspoons
- cinnamon: 4 teaspoons
To knead the dough for Maple-Toffee Rolls.
Combine water and sugar in a big bowl. Sprinkle active yeast over top and set aside for 5 minutes (until foamy). Add flour (4 cups) and salt, and stir with a wooden spoon until a shaggy dough forms.
Turn out onto a prepared, lightly floured surface and knead about 5-8 min. or until the dough comes together.
Take a medium-sized bowl and lightly oil it. Add dough and turn to coat. Cover the Maple-Toffee dough and set aside for about 90 minutes until doubled in size.
To make the Maple-Toffee Rolls Topping.
Combine brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup in a skillet. Cook a couple of minutes, stirring often, until sugar dissolves and the mixture is evenly bubbling. When it cools slightly, sprinkle with nuts. Set aside.
Turn on the oven and preheat it to 350°F. Combine dates, butter, sugar, and salt in a saucepan and place over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring and mashing to help break updates until mixture comes to a boil and dates are broken down, about 5 min.
Take the doubled in size dough and turn it out onto a floured surface. Divide dough in half (this will make it easier to work with) and working with one at a time, roll each piece into a rectangle. Divide mixture with dates between the two pieces of dough and spread it to the edges. Sprinkle each piece evenly with cinnamon (2 teaspoons). Starting from the long end, roll up dough and place seam-side down. Cut dough crosswise into 2-inch spirals. Transfer Maple-Toffee Rolls, cut sides down, to prepared skillet.
Bake for 30 minutes until golden and risen. Now you can enjoy this wonderful dessert and share it with the one you love!
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your pastry even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!