Last Updated on
Sweet Potato Pie with Ice Cream is a wonderful breakfast meal as well as amazing dessert recipe! Great combination of sweet potatoes, maple syrup, ginger, and nutmeg creates classic but fresh fall flavor. Garnished with a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream this Pie can highlight any friends and family gathering.
Ingredients for Pie Dough
- all-purpose flour: 1 cup
- whole-wheat flour: 1/4 cup
- baking powder: 1/8 teaspoon
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 1/4 teaspoon
- salt: 1/8 teaspoon
- unsalted butter (chilled and cut into small pieces): 5 tablespoons
- 1/3-less-fat cream cheese: 3 tablespoons
- water (very cold): 2 tablespoons
- fresh lemon juice: 2 teaspoons
- All-purpose flour (to roll out dough)
- Cooking spray
Instructions to Cook the Dough for the Pie
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until blended. Add butter and cream cheese, and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add cold water and lemon juice, and pulse just until dough begins to form.
Transfer to a lightly floured surface, and form into a flat disk (do not overwork). Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap, and let chill 1 hour or up to 2 days.
Spray a 9-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray. Roll out prepared dough into a 13-inch round on a floured surface with a floured rolling pin, and transfer to a pie plate.
Total Time to Cook Sweet Potato Pie with Ice Cream – 1 Hour
- prepared Perfect Pie Dough
- sweet potatoes (baked and mashed): 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon
- ground ginger: 1/2 teaspoon
- grated whole nutmeg: 1/4 teaspoon
- salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- turbinado or raw sugar: 2 tablespoons
- Vanilla ice cream for garnishing
Turn on an oven and preheat it to 375°. Working with prepared dough, press down edges with floured fork tines, leaving 1-inch between crimping. Freeze 10 minutes or until firm.
Line bottom of dough with foil; top with pie weights. Bake in middle of oven 20 minutes or until set. Remove weights and foil, and return to oven. Bake 8-10 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.
Whisk together mashed sweet potato with whole eggs, 1 egg white, 1/2 cup maple syrup, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Spoon into a shell, and brush edges with remaining egg white; sprinkle with sugar. Bake in middle of oven 40 minutes or until set. (If the crust is becoming too brown, cover with foil.) Transfer to a wire rack.
When Sweet Potato Pie is cool enough cut it, top each piece with a scoop of ice cream and serve.
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your desserts even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!