Last Updated on
Squash Bread Maple Pudding is a great breakfast, which you cooked once and can enjoy for several mornings! Common ingredients that everybody can find in the fridge with satisfying maple syrup topping create the great and easy recipe you got to try!
Total Time to Cook Squash Bread Maple Pudding – 2 hours + overnight to dry bread
- 1 baguette
- 1 butternut squash
- half-and-half (divided): 3 cups
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 1/2 cup
- freshly grated nutmeg: 1/4 teaspoon
- Chinese five-spice powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- 5 eggs
- brown sugar: 1/2 cup
- butter for pan
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup to pour from the top instead of sauce.
Cut bread into small cubes and spread them on a baking sheet or clean counter to dry. Leave them for a night.
Turn on an oven and preheat it to 350°. With a fork, poke holes all over the squash. Microwave it on high 10 minutes or until squash is tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds.
Scrape flesh from 1 squash half into a blender. Whirl with 2 cups half-and-half, the maple sugar, nutmeg, and five-spice powder until smooth. Add eggs and whirl just to combine.
Put dried bread cubes in a large bowl and pour half the egg mixture over them. Stir the remaining 1 cup half-and-half into the remaining egg mixture and pour the entire mixture over bread. Let sit 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, scrape flesh from another squash half into a medium bowl. Add brown sugar and mash coarsely with a fork.
Gently stir mashed squash into bread mixture. Butter a 9- by 13-in. pan and pour the mixture into the pan. Bake until set in the center, about 30 minutes.
Serve warm, with Maple Syrup instead of sauce!
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your dishes even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Use Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!