Last Updated on
Sweet Potato Casserole with Oat Topping is a healthy, full of nutrients morning meal. With one baking dish of this delicious Casserole you can feed all your family and get them ready for the day ahead! A final drizzle of maple syrup just before serving gives the Casserole a lovely sheen.
Total Time to Make 12 Servings of the Sweet Potato Casserole – 45 min.
- sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped): 3 pounds or 8-9 cups
- reduced-fat milk (2%): 1/2 cup
- unsalted butter (melted and divided): 2 tablespoons
- vanilla extract: 1/2 teaspoon
- salt (divided): 3/4 teaspoon
- 1 egg
- сooking spray
- old-fashioned rolled oats: 1 cup
- pecans (chopped): 2/3 cup
- almond meal: 3 tablespoons
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup (divided): 3 tablespoons
Instructions to cook Sweet Potato Casserole
Turn on an oven and preheat it to 375°F.
Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return potatoes to the saucepan. Add milk, 1 tablespoon butter, and vanilla; mash to desired consistency. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and egg. Spread potato mixture in the bottom of an 11- x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, oats, pecans, almond meal, and 2 tablespoons syrup in a bowl. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and canola oil; toss to coat. Sprinkle oat mixture over potatoes. Bake at 375°F for 18 minutes or until surface is golden. Remove Sweet Potato Casserole pan from the oven; drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
More advanced ways of using Viking Farms Maple Syrup with Vegetables!
- Use Viking Farms Maple Amber Color and Rich Taste Syrup for most vegetables: maple glazed carrots or beets, maple roasted acorn squash, maple bread and butter pickles;
- ½ cup of Viking Farms Maple for every 2 cups of vegetables for glazing;
- Viking Farms Maple Dark Color and Robust Taste Syrup for bitter vegetables like maple glazed or roasted brussels sprouts;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Dark Color and Robust Taste Syrup for butternut squash or French onion soup!