Smoky Beans recipe is a flavorful, amazing meal for beans and spicy dishes lovers. All ingredients support each other strong sides and you end up with the great result from the slow cooker without paying much effort to create it! By the way, the meal can be cooked without bacon if you want it vegetarian.
Total Time to Cook Ten Servings of Smoky Beans – 25 min. + 7 hours (time in a slow cooker).
- thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch squares: 4 ounces (optional)
- onion (chopped): 1 cup
- fresh thyme (chopped): 2 tablespoons
- garlic (minced): 5 cloves
- water: 5 cups
- cider vinegar: 3 tablespoons
- chili ketchup: 1/2 cup
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1/2 cup
- soy sauce (lower-sodium): 3 tablespoons
- dry mustard: 2 tablespoons
- tomato paste: 2 tablespoons
- dried Great Northern beans: 1 1/2 cups
- dried red lentils: 1/2 cup
Instructions to cook Smoky Beans
Heat bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat and cook 8 minutes. Add onion, thyme, and garlic to the pan. Cook 6 more minutes. Add 5 cups water and next 6 ingredients (through tomato paste); bring to a boil.
Place beans, lentils, and ketchup mixture in a 6-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook Smoky Beans for 7 hours on high.
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your Salad Dressings, Dips and Sauces even tastier!
- Viking Farms Maple goes a long way in dressings, dips, and sauces;
- Use 1 tbsp for 2 cups of salad dressing and more to taste;
- Viking Farms Maple is a perfect pairing with balsamic, apple cider and red wine vinegar, herbs (sage rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley), olive oil, fruit purees, and chili spices;
- Use 1 tbsp for 1 cup of dip or sauce;
- Great in cheese, onion, cream, and spicy dips!