Buns… What a sweet word for pastry lovers! Moreover, this tasty treat, covered with a maple-walnuts blanket, is the easiest way to set a good mood for the day ahead!
Total Time to cook 2 dozen – 1 hour 45 min + Night
Preparing: 45 min. + Night in the Fridge + Rising: 30 min. + Baking: 30 min.
- active dry yeast: 1 package
- warm water (110°): 1 cup
- mashed potatoes: 1/2 cup
- 1 egg
- shortening: 2 tablespoons
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 2 tablespoons
- salt: 1 teaspoon
- all-purpose flour: 3 to 3-1/2 cups
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1 cup
- chopped walnuts: 3/4 cup
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 1/3 cup
- cinnamon (grounded): 1-1/2 teaspoons
- softened butter: 3 tablespoons
To make these wonderful maple buns, at first, we need to dissolve yeast in warm water. Then, use a large bowl to combine and beat on medium speed mashed potatoes, egg, shortening, sugar, salt, yeast mixture, and 1 cup flour until smooth. After all, ingredients are mixed, form a soft dough by stirring in remaining flour, but do not make it too firm!
Now we need to knead the dough until smooth and elastic on a floured surface. It usually takes 5-6 minutes. When you achieve the right consistency, place the dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all its sides. Cover it and put it to the fridge overnight.
The next step is to take a greased 13×9-in. baking dish and pour the syrup into it, sprinkle with walnuts. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Onto a lightly floured surface punch down the dough and turn it to make it floured as well. Make a rectangle by rolling it into a 24×8-in. Spread with butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Starting with a long side, roll up jelly-roll style, do not forget to pinch seam. Cut into 24 slices.
Place the slices in prepared baking dish, cut side down. Cover with a towel and for half an hour let them rise until doubled in a warm place.
When buns have risen, put them in a preheated to 350°oven. The baking process will take about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool Maple-Walnut Buns a little bit before inverting onto a platter.
Maybe the process of making Maple-Walnut Buns seems to be a bit time-consuming… But when you end up with the 24 beautiful and delicious Maple-Walnut treats you will not regret the time you have spent on preparing them.
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your dishes even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Use Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!