The homemade bread is a special bakery kind! Made by the hand, full with love and caring this wholesome breakfast dish with a sweet touch of maple syrup will provide you with energy up to lunchtime!
Multi-Grain Maple Bread
Total time to cook two loaves – 90 min.
Preparing: 50 min. + Baking: 40 min.
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1/3 cup
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1 teaspoon
- rye flakes: 1 cup
- 4 pieces of butter: 1/4 cup
- hot water (200°F): 2 cups
- active dry yeast: 2 tablespoons (2 pkgs. (1/2-oz))
- wheat flakes: 1 cup
- warm water (110°F): 1/3 cup
- nonfat milk powder: 1 cup
- salt: 1 tablespoon
- unprocessed bran flakes: 1/2 cup
- wheat germ: 1/2 cup
- all-purpose bread flour: 4 3/4 to 5 1/4 cups
- whole-wheat flour: 1 to 1/2 cups
1 egg, blended with 2 teaspoons of water
Firstly, to prepare the mixture we need, use a large bowl of an electric mixer and combine 1 cup rye flakes, 1 cup wheat flakes, butter, 1/3 cup Viking Farms Maple Syrup and 2 cups water. Combine all ingredients by stirring, cool to room temperature.
Take active dry yeast and 1 teaspoon of Viking Farms Maple Syrup and dissolve the ingredients in 1/3 cup water. Leave it until foamy (5-8 minutes).
Secondly, stir into a wheat-flakes mixture. Add bran flakes, wheat germ, milk powder, 1 – 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, salt. Use an electric mixer again to beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. You can do it by hand -beat 200 vigorous strokes. Stir in whole-wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose flour to make a soft dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Prepare a greased bowl.
Thirdly, knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place it in a prepared greased bowl, turning to process all sides. Cover with a slightly damp towel and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour. When the dough has doubled, punch it down and knead 30 seconds. Divide dough to shape into two loaves. Place greased 2 (9” x 5”) loaf pans or 2 (2-quart) casserole dishes. One more time cover this time with a dry towel and let it rise until doubled (about 45 min.).
Finally, heat an oven to 375°F before inserting the loaves. Brush tops of bread with egg glaze. Slash tops as you like. Bake about half an hour. The bread should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. When loaves are ready, remove and cool on racks.
Pour sliced Multi-Grain Bread into the finest Viking Farms Maple Syrup, or put some Viking Farms 100% Pure Vermont Maple Cream and enjoy it 24 hours a day!
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your dishes even tastier!
• 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
• Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
• Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
• Use Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
• Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
• Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
• Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!