Total Time to make 8 servings – 1 hour 20 min.
Preparing: 20 min. + Baking: 60 min.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 chicken breasts
- butter: 1 tablespoon
- onion (finely chopped): 1/4 cup
- cranberries (fresh or frozen): 1 cup
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1/3 cup
- cranberry juice: 1/4 cup
- salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- walnuts (toasted and chopped): 1/2 cup
- Dijon mustard: 1 teaspoon
- pepper: 1/4 teaspoon
Turn on the oven and preheat it to 400°. Scrub sweet potatoes. Use a fork or a knife to pierce them several times. Put into the hot oven and bake 1 hour until tender.
Take a saucepan with water, make it boil and put there two chicken breasts. They should be completely underwater. You can cut breasts into several halves. Let breasts boil for 35 min. When they are ready, take them out from the heat and cool down.
While the sweet potato is baking and chicken is boiling, heat butter over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Add onion and cook stirring until tender. Stir in cranberries, cranberry juice, syrup and salt (1/8 teaspoon). When it boils, reduce heat and let it simmer 10-15 until berries pop. Stirring occasionally but the saucepan should be covered. The last to stir in – mustard and walnuts, heat through.
When all cooked ingredients are cool enough to handle, cut each potato lengthwise in half; tear chicken breasts and place them on the potatoes halves, top with cranberry mixture.
Adding chicken is optional. You can cook a completely vegetarian colorful dish with sweet potato and maple-cranberries sauce only and it is still would be super delicious.
More advanced ways of using Viking Farms Maple Syrup with Vegetables!
• Viking Farms Maple goes a long way in dressings, dips and sauces;
• Use 1 tbsp for 2 cups of salad dressing and more to taste;
• Viking Farms Maple is a perfect pairing with balsamic, apple cider and red wine vinegar, herbs (sage rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley), olive oil, fruit purees and chili spices;
• Use 1 tbsp for 1 cup of dip or sauce;
• Great in cheese, onion, cream and spicy dips!