Last Updated on
Upside-Down Cake is one of the best desserts ever! Feels like home, soft and tender, infused with both maple syrup and apple tastes, this cake is your help hand when you need something easy but delicious.
Total Time to Cook Maple Upside-Down Cake with Apples – 2 hours
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1 cup
- 3 apples (preferably Granny Smith) peeled, cored and cut into eighths
- all-purpose flour: 2 cups
- baking powder: 1 teaspoon
- baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- salt: 1 teaspoon
- 3 eggs buttermilk: 3/4 cup
- vanilla extract: 1 tablespoon
- unsalted butter (softened): 1 1/2 sticks
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 1 1/3 cups
- Crème fraîche (for serving)
Turn on an oven and preheat it to 350°. Butter and flour a 10-inch round cake pan. Bring the maple syrup to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat, then simmer about 20 minutes over low heat until very thick and reduced to 3/4 cup. Pour the thickened syrup into the cake pan. Arrange the apples as you like in the pan, overlapping them slightly.
Whisk dry ingredients – the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. In a measuring cup, whisk the eggs with the buttermilk and vanilla. Beat the butter and sugar at medium speed about 3 minutes until fluffy in the mixer bowl. Beat in the dry and wet ingredients in 3 alternating batches until the batter is smooth; scrape down the side of the bowl.
Scrape the batter over the apples and spread it in an even layer. Bake the Maple Upside-Down Cake with Apples for 1 hour, until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool on a rack.
Place a plate on top of the cake and invert the cake onto the plate; tap lightly to release the cake. Remove the pan. Let the Maple Upside-Down Cake with Apples cool slightly, then cut into wedges and serve with crème fraîche.
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your pastry even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!