Last Updated on
Maple-Date Treats are great Date-flavor loaded bars! Besides these sweets are a wonderful fruity dessert you can have them as a healthy snack whenever and wherever you might be. But make sure you have several extra pieces – your friends would love to try them as well!
Total Time to Cook 20 Maple-Date Treats – 35 min.
Ingredients for Maple-Date Treats
- dates (pitted, finely chopped): 1 3/4 cups (about 12 ounces)
- water: 3/4 cup
- Viking Farms Maple Syrup: 1/3 cup
- grated lemon rind: 1 teaspoon
- Viking Farms Maple Sugar: 2/3 cup
- butter (softened): 1/2 cup
- all-purpose flour: 1 cup (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- oats: 1 cup
- baking soda: 1/4 teaspoon
- salt: 1/4 teaspoon
- Cooking spray
To cook Maple-Date Treats – combine dates, water, and maple syrup in a heavy saucepan. Put the mixture over medium heat. Bring to a boil; cook 10-12 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed and the mixture looks like jam, stirring frequently. Stir in rind; cool completely.
Turn on an oven and preheat it to 400°. We will bake our Maple-Date Treats.
Beat sugar and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife.
Combine the following dry ingredients: flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. Stir flour mixture into sugar mixture. Press 2 cups flour mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Spread the mixture for Maple-Date Treats over flour mixture. Sprinkle with remaining flour mixture.
Bake Maple-Date Treats at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack and cut into bars.
Useful VermontMapleSyrup tips to make your desserts even tastier!
- 1 cup brown or white sugar = 1 cup Viking Farms maple sugar;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Syrup in place of vanilla extract or liquors (like bourbon);
- Avoid using Viking Farms Maple with brown sugar or molasses;
- Viking Farms Maple for a syrup soak for cakes;
- Use Viking Farms Maple Sugar for coating and garnishing cookies, donuts, pies & cakes;
- Drizzle Viking Farms Maple Syrup over hot baked pastry dough (like pie dough or puff pastry) for an instant pastry glaze;
- Make your bakery shines with a Viking Farms Maple Syrup glaze!